Choosing the right school

Choosing a school for your child can be difficult, and parents often tell us they don’t know where to start.

Families sometimes need help in knowing what type of specialist schools they should be looking at. This depends on your child’s needs, if in any doubt, read the reports about your child to see what areas your child needs particular support with and speak to your child about what they find difficult.

IASS can help you by making suggestions for schools, although we cannot recommend a particular school and our advice will only be a helpful start. Whether you are going through the regular school admissions process or looking at an alternative setting, the ‘right school’ is a very personal decision and we are not able to express any preference.

Whatever your child’s situation, it is important to remember that they have a right to a mainstream education.

Regular school admissions

If you are going through the regular school admissions process, this is typically done on distance to your home.

More information on Bromley schools, their admissions criteria, and how to apply can be found on the Council website.

Children with additional needs

Most young people with special educational needs can be taught in mainstream schools – even if they do have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.

If your young person has more severe or complex needs they may need to go to a school with a Additionally Resourced Provision or a special school.

More information can be found on the Council website.

Children with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan

If your child has an EHC Plan, you can also consider specialist schools, if you feel this would best meet their needs. A list of specialist schools, schools with Additionally Resourced Provision and alternative provision can be found on the Council website.

Independent schools and colleges

You could also look on the Government’s list of independent schools and colleges for children with special educational needs or disability (SEND), known as Section 41.

Schools with Section 41 status mean that if you ask the Council to consult with the schools as part of the EHC Plan process, the Council must consult them.